And it has Michez and Jachez - two sterling chaps, well more bronze than sterling these days - who announce the hour, every hour on the hour, to the good citizens of Trieste. They - or chaps much like them - have been performing that service since the 17th century. The Port clock tower was pulled down in 1838 and the original pair relegated to the junk heap to the very vocal horror of the populace.
The 1876 pair were kept in a warehouse until 2005 when they were restored. After a careful cleaning of the zinc alloy and the iron bearings, all the cracks and holes were filled in and a wax-based protective coating with a a corrosion inhibitor was applied.
07 giugno - San Candido