Monday, December 01, 2008

Christmasy Things I

Last year I posted a series on our Christmas traditions and I don't want to repeat myself but I thought a little updating on the odd Christmasy Thing or two wouldn't be amiss. So I'll be doing that during the weeks of Advent leading up to Christmas.

And speaking of Advent my dear friend Larry at AmoRoma is keeping up a tradition he started last year - can two years be a tradition? I think so. Last year he created an Internet Advent Calender. Each day he posted a Roman window and one of the "O" antiphons for the season. This year, from December 1st - 24th, he'll post a picture of a different door that he's seen in Rome and a verse taken from Handel's Messiah.

And again this year I've posted a sidebar link to Larry's Advent Calender for anyone who'd like to join us in this tradition. And that would be Vincenzo, the other half of the team, inviting you to open a new door each day. Thanks Larry for keeping up the tradition.

Old Stuggart Advent Calender - Sellmer CoAnd speaking of Advent Calenders the folks over at Sellmer are still producing wonderful advent calenders like this charming one of Old Stuttgart. Many are reproductions of favorites from years past including one of the Christkindlmarkt at the Marienplatz in Munich. I may buy one for next year but in the meantime Laurent and I will be heading up there this weekend to experience the Christmas Market first hand.

01 dicembre - San Egilio

4 comments:

sageweb said...

I love that idea of Larry's advent calender. I remember being little and opening the little tab that revealed something new each day.

Elizabeth said...

I love the advent calendar. Yay! And I can't wait to read about your adventures in the Christmas Market.

more cowbell said...

Oh this is the time of year I really and truly miss being over on that side of the world. *sniff*

I loved the windows last year, can't wait to see this year's photos.

And of course, we're all waiting with bated breath for the yearly debut of you boys' big shiny balls.

Doralong said...

CB beat me to it, where pray tell are the shiny Christmas balls my friend?