Wednesday, December 03, 2008

Mercoledi Musicale

The incredible Odetta died earlier today in New York. Folk and gospel singer, actress, rights activist and voice of an age - another one of the immortals from my youth has gone. I only saw her live as an actress - she acted one summer at the Stratford Festival - never in concert but I owned at least four of her albums when I was a teenager. On one she sang a song called "Why and why and why" - a simple dialogue between a sleepy child and a weary but caring mother. I can still hear the last line as the child asks one more "why" question before falling asleep: Because I don't know the answer. I wish I could hear the love she put into that phrase just one more time.





03 dicembre - San Francesco Saverio

1 comment:

more cowbell said...

Yes, this was sad news.