Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Christmasy Things - Carols III

The three Christmases we spent in Warsaw were amongst the happiest of many happy Christmases. I had grown up in a Polish neighbourhood and many of the traditions, foods and music were familiar from childhood. As a child and teenager I would go next door to join the Michaelski family, my darling Teresa, her brother Eddie and Pan Stan and Pani Mary, for some of their celebrations. Mary always made, to my Anglo sensibilities, the most exotic and wonderful dishes using spices unknown in our household. I don't recall us ever having carp - the main stay of a a Polish Wigilia or Christmas Eve meal and I must say for that I'm thankful.

Here are three of the glorious carols I heard in those days and again during our stay in Poland. And if you're at our place over Christmas you'll hear them along with all the other music that has become our tradition at Christmas.

Wśród Nocnej Ciszy - In the Stillness of the Night
This is, traditionally, the first Carol sung on Christmas Eve.



Gdy Się Chrystus Rodzi - When Christ the Lord is Born
This carol is always sung at Midnight Mass.



Bóg się rodzi - God is born
And this is my favorite of all the Polish Carols.



Its a tongue twister and I never go it right but as long as it was said sincerly the traditional greeting was warmly received.

Wesolych Swiat Bozego Narodzenia!

23 dicembre - San Giovanni da Kety

4 comments:

Doralong said...

That was genuinely beautiful Wills, thank you.

sageweb said...

Have a wonderful Holiday...I would give you both a big hug...a big lesbian hug.

sageweb said...

Have a wonderful Holiday...I would give you both a big hug...a big lesbian hug.

sageweb said...

obviously you get two hugs.