Monday, December 10, 2007

The Rest of Friday

Laurent joined Joanne and I at the Piazza Sant'Andrea delle valle around two o'clock and we head off for lunch at one of our favorite Trattoria. For almost 40 years Paola Fazi has been cooking in the kitchen of Trattoria der Pallaro and her husband Giovanni has acted as host and waiter. Posted above the door is a sign: Qui se magna quello che passa la casa (Here you will eat what we want to feed you.) There is no menu, just what Paola has decided to cook that day. It will always be a traditional four course Italian meal - Antipasti, primi, secondi and dolci with the added pleasure of freshly squeezed clementine juice as a palate cleanser.

    Friday's menu:
  • Hot lentils, prosciutto, salami, black olives, potato-cheese balls, white fish fritters
  • Rigate in a creamy tomato sauce with Romano cheese
  • Roast veal with Paola's signature home made potato chips, grilled eggplant and zucchini
  • Freshly squeezed clementine juice
  • Apricot tarte
  • Coffee
  • A rather rough but not unpleasant local white wine

Then Laurent gave us one of his patented Roma antiche tours - Largo Argentino (the old Campus Martius where Julius Caesar was actually assassinated despite what Hollywood may say) and Portico Ottavia (the old Jewish ghetto and south of the Foro.) As a sidebar Laurent has been known for his tours where ever we have lived: his Jarash and Warsaw ghetto tours especially were a must for anyone visiting the Embassies in Jordan or Poland. His ancient Rome tours are becoming equally famous. He just may have another career all set when he retires in a few years time.

Hanukkah CandelabraThe Jewish GhettoThe Jewish GhettoThe ancient ghetto is still a Jewish area and in celebration of Hanukkah there was a nine branched menorah or Hanukiah in the piazza.

The Destruction of the TempleEarlier in the day Joanne and I had passed the Arch of Titus with its famous bas-relief of the destruction of the Temple in Jerusalem. A menorah is being take away as part of the booty.

10 decembre - Nostra Signora di Loretto

8 comments:

evilganome said...

Qui se magna quello che passa la casa Paola sounds like my kind of cook, and the menu sounds delicious. I'm lucky to have a really good Trattoria around the corner from my house. But like most American cities, it's hard to find a really good Italian restaurant here.

Laurent's tour sounds great. As soon as Doralong, Tater and I manage to stow away and find our way to Rome, we'll have to take the tour.

Doralong said...

Trattoria der Pallaro sounds like my kind of place! Paola will adopt me within a week- I betcha!

We'll take the tour and then you guys have to go house hunting whilst EG and I make all Roman Holiday all over town. He's got the dashing bit down, I may have just enough time to find the right make up to make old ingenue barely passable. Yeah, OK not going to fly. We'll still have an absolute blast.

evilganome said...

Don't be modest Doralong, I saw that black leather outfit you were smokin' in over Hallowe'en! I'm sure you'll be able to carry off the the whole AH thing.

Anonymous said...

After looking over the photos of the past three posts, I am forced to come to terms with the fact that America is very boring.

Doralong said...

Yeah, her later years ;) as in much. Oh well, we'll manage, just make sure you've had proper training and such as I'll be trusting you to pilot the Vespa. Those people are crazy drivers!

Elizabeth said...

1. I'm going to make a sign that says "Qui se manga quello che passa la casa," for my kitchen. When the kids say they don't like what's being offered at our Trattoria, I'll point to the sign, shrug elaborately, and pretend I don't speak any English!

2. Sigh.

Willym said...

Doralong/EG: I can see it now but sadly motorino drivers must now wear helmets so the effect is not quite as carefree or dashing. As a sidebar we almost got us a motorino driver tonight coming home from the Vets. Its scary stuff kids!

And Dora Audrey in middle age was pretty beautiful - Robin and Marian with Sean Connery - oh my god!

Elizabeth: You'll have to wear a towel on your head as a chef's togue and get a gold tooth - honestly I'll get a shot of Paola next time we're there.

BigAssBelle said...

i am with auld hat. how the hell did i end up here when the glamorous world awaits.