- Friday's menu:
- Hot lentils, prosciutto, salami, black olives, potato-cheese balls, white fish fritters
- Rigate in a creamy tomato sauce with Romano cheese
- Roast veal with Paola's signature home made potato chips, grilled eggplant and zucchini
- Freshly squeezed clementine juice
- Apricot tarte
- A rather rough but not unpleasant local white wine
Then Laurent gave us one of his patented Roma antiche tours - Largo Argentino (the old Campus Martius where Julius Caesar was actually assassinated despite what Hollywood may say) and Portico Ottavia (the old Jewish ghetto and south of the Foro.) As a sidebar Laurent has been known for his tours where ever we have lived: his Jarash and Warsaw ghetto tours especially were a must for anyone visiting the Embassies in Jordan or Poland. His ancient Rome tours are becoming equally famous. He just may have another career all set when he retires in a few years time.
The ancient ghetto is still a Jewish area and in celebration of Hanukkah there was a nine branched menorah or Hanukiah in the piazza.
Earlier in the day Joanne and I had passed the Arch of Titus with its famous bas-relief of the destruction of the Temple in Jerusalem. A menorah is being take away as part of the booty.
10 decembre - Nostra Signora di Loretto