Thursday, December 27, 2007

The Reese Report

ReeseLast evening Reese slept between the two of us for a short while. It wasn't something he did - he never understood that a bed was for sleeping, he thought it was for wandering around in, fighting with blankets in and once settled down in having your tummy rubbed non-stop - forget this sleep thing.

But last night he was tired, as he has been for the past few months. Tired of the constant itch from skin problems, tired of the pain of arthritis that made walking a chore, tired of not seeing things clearly, tired of being poked and prodded at the vets - just tired. He slept almost all of the time and it was becoming more difficult to wake him up. He wasn't interested in food beyond his treats of poached chicken and yesterday even that had lost its appeal. We think he may have had a small stroke on Christmas morning - he seemed disoriented, his back legs were not fully supporting him and he would bark in a panic if you weren't in direct sight.

This morning, at the Vet's, Laurent and I did the only thing we felt we could do for our Reeser Man (Mister Reese, the Reeser, Baby Reesie, Budfordshire, Buddy - he had quite a few nicknames.) He went to sleep on his blanket as we stroked him, rubbing his tummy telling him it was okay to go "doodoo" and finally he did.

28 decembre - San Giovanni Evangelista

15 comments:

Doralong said...

I am so very sorry- I know you're both heartbroken and I do wish there was something I could do to make it better. But you did do the right thing in letting him go peacefully..

Elizabeth said...

Oh Willym, I'm so sorry. Your posts, this one and the one above, have made me cry too. So please know I'm crying with you and would give you and Laurent a huge hug if I could.

Anonymous said...

Willym and Laurent:

It's never easy for us, but sometimes it's the best thing for them. My condolences.

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry for your lost Will, I'm keeping you in my thoughts. I hope you and Laurent will find comfort in each other through your loss.

You will miss him forever but hopefully, someday you can remember him with Joy instead of sorrow.

TC is thinking of you.

XOXO

Genevieve

evilganome said...

I am so sorry Willym. I am sure you and Laurent both know that you did the right thing, but having been in your position I also know how hard that is to accept. I know that Reese had a wonderful life and had the best owners in the world. Once again, I am so sorry.

Anonymous said...

Good-night, sweet prince;
And flights of angels sing thee to thy rest...

Lorraine said...

Oh, Willym, I'm so sorry. So, so sorry. That's all. I have to go cry now. RIP Reese.

Anonymous said...

Hi Captain,

I thought I could see Reesie... So sorry to know that...

Sailor

more cowbell said...

Oh no -- Willym, I'm very very sorry. I know how much the both of you adored Reese, and how much he loved you. It's so very hard to lose our animal family members. As Tony said, knowing you've done the right thing doesn't make it any easier to accept.

Peace to you both, and peace to Reesie -- little gentleman.

Anonymous said...

Willy:
I am so sorry for the lost of your Reesie....thank you for the sharing of your story and your picture.

Hugs to you and Laurent
Vince

AMOROMA said...

we just got back from Sicily...
and reading your blog is one of the first things I am doing. You are not alone in your grief. Vin and I give thanks for the joy that Reece has brought you and Laurent. We are glad that we met Reece here in Rome. There will be many, many stories to tell and retell in the months and years to come. With love and big hugs, Larry and Vincenzo

Willym said...

dear friends ... thank you to each and every one of you.

Laurent and Willym

BigAssBelle said...

oh no. that precious little man. i am heartbroken for the two of you. you did the most loving thing you could do for him. that he had a last night between the two of you is wonderful. i know you will miss him terribly. i am so sorry. sweet ltitle reesie. i loved your boy.

Anonymous said...

Willym, my belated condolences. I am so very sorry for your loss, and I hardly know what to say. This has been a tough year for the dogs in my life, my family lost two, and now my blog family is suffering the same sadness. My heart aches for you, and I am sending you warm thoughts...

Bettina said...

My name is Bettina, I'm writing from near Ravenna. I've just found this post by chance. Your Mr. Reese was so so sweet, and the story you tell is deeply touching. I'm sure you'll meet him again one day, I'm sure of this... I just can't immagine a paradise without our little friends...