Friday, October 01, 2010

That Swan Again

I began the week with a Lamentation of Swans - though it could have also been a Bevy of Swans depending on which collective noun you favour but given we're talking dying swans here I'll go with my first choice - so I thought I'd hit the week's end with the same theme.

I have always been more a classical ballet fan than that of contemporary dance - I recall one very embarrassing incident with members of the Winnipeg Contemporary Dancers during the Cervantino Festival in Guanajuato where I really let my prejudice show. However the more I read about what is happening in modern dance the more I am intrigued by the possibilities of mixing styles.

This performance by LilBuck aka Charles Riley is an improv to the music that began the week - The Swan by Saint-Saëns. Apparently he listened to the music for the first time 20 minutes before he went on stage and (you should excuse the expression) winged it from there.



A remarkable sense of movement and feeling for music that is the basis for any great dance career no matter what the form.

Many thanks to my friend Simonetta for introducing me to this video

01 ottobre - Santa Teresa di Lisieux
Enhanced by Zemanta

1 comment:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Beautiful and expressive! And did you see how (towards the end) he incorporated some of the "traditional" movements associated with dancing the dying swan?