Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Mercolidi Musicale

Today's Mercolidi Musicale is dedicated to my blog buddy the notorious EG. Last week Tony wrote a great piece on music, memories and aging. I tried to think of a comment - you know something witty, wacky and wild but decided this number from Stephen Sondheim's Follies was the best comment to make.



In 1971 I gave up a chance to see a matinee of Follies to go to the 55th Street Playhouse and see Boys in the Sand - talk about the stupidity of youth!

In Everything Was Possible, his remarkable book on the making of Follies, Ted Chapin recalls how as the run progressed Yvonne De Carlo had trouble remembering her lyrics. She encountered problems in this clip but still gives a powerhouse performance.

And Tony, those last lines are for you:
Lord knows, at least I was there.
And I'm here!
Look who's here!
I'm still here!

20 agosto - San Bernardo

3 comments:

evilganome said...

Thanks Will. By the way, I loved Yvonne De Carlo! So, doubly good, I get De Carlo and Sondheim.

Sling said...

When the goin' gets tough!..Yvonne rocked this one. :)

sageweb said...

Very Nice!