Tuesday, December 24, 2013

As the Big Night Approaches





As we approach Christmas Eve I am reminded of what this night was like when I was a child.  Back in the 50s every night in December on CFRB, after the news and after Gordan Sinclair had reminded us of the evils of fluoride and the stupidity of the current Mayor and City Councillors of Toronto (plus ça change!) we would spend five minutes with Santa Claus.




On Christmas Eve he would tell us about his upcoming journey around the world - I was to discover later that it was the voice of Stan Francis, as "The Professor" he  had a popular children's after-school TV programme in the 60s.  He also did the voice of Santa on the well-known Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer animation.  I was not the only one who thought that Stan was exactly what Santa sounded like.

Now I have never been good at saying "goodbye" and especially when it came to Santa who had spoken directly to me every night for almost a month.  Already at 6 and 7 I had become a bit of a drama queen  actor and the hysteria was a sight to behold.   My Irish heritage was in full flight as I keened the departure of the Jolly Old Man, forgetting that he was going to drop off that "Mickey Mouse Playhouse Theatre" (didn't I tell you I was dramatically inclined?) that I had seen at Simpson's Toyland three weeks before.  How my patient parents put up with the drama I will never know - their crowns in heaven must be shining bright!


There has been much - needless to my mind - talk about Santa over the past few weeks with statements made from all sides that boggle even the average mind.  However that is not for me to go into at this point.  My Santa - the one who came down the chimney, ate those cookies, drank that milk and left presents - was straight out of Thomas Nast.  And whatever form your Santa took and whatever he - or she for that matter - may have looked like I can only hope you were saddened by his departure for the season but even more gladdened by the stop he made at your home on so many Christmas Eves.



In the mean time:  Merry Christmas to all; and to all a good night!

24 December - 1294: Pope Boniface VIII is elected Pope, replacing St. Celestine V, who had resigned.


Enhanced by Zemanta

1 comment:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Have a wonderful Christmas and may Santa be good to you this year!