Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Mercoledi Musicale

In my old parish church in Toronto, as in most Anglo-Catholic parishes, if a major feast falls on a Sunday it is normally transferred to the next day. Well November 22 was the Feast of Santa Cecilia, the patron saint of music. As I have mentioned in the past her association with music appears a bit tenuous - other than the fact it may have been played at her ill-fated wedding and that she sang while being executed - a three day event if the legend is to be believed - there doesn't seem to be much else of a connection.

Now it may not be a major feast day in the church calender but it has been here on the blog for the past few years. And this year I've decided by my own rules that the feast would be celebrated today as part of Mercoledi Musicale. And what better way to celebrate it than with one of the greatest of her followers Mozart. I couldn't find anything that he wrote with the Saint particularly in mind but here is the setting of the Agnus Dei from his Coronation Mass (my favorite of all his church music) sung by Canadian soprano Donna Brown. Nothing could be more lovely in honour of the Patron of Music.


And to my own bright Cecilia - I know its a day or two late but there was no way I'd forget.

25 settembre - Santa Cecilia - trasferito

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

No comments: