Thursday, May 22, 2008

Zwergerlgarten - Postscript

Dayle was asking if the stone Dwarfs were life size. Yes they are - here's a photo of Laurent who stands almost 6 feet with the little guy with the shovel.
Laurent and the stone Dwarf
And Dora has a point about them becoming progressively more endearing - though I didn't plan it that way. As I mentioned they are on a tower of land surrounded by a moat and reached by a wooden bridge and they're arranged around the parameter of the circle. And that's how I photographed them. It would have been interesting to see how they were originally arranged but nothing seems to have survived indicating placement within the garden.
Verona Dwarf
Strangely I came across this badly damaged wee chappie standing on a balustrade overlooking the beautiful Giardino Guisti in Verona. His dress would suggest a slightly later period than those in Salzburg. Also it suggests this sort of garden statuary was popular in many parts of Europe.

22 maggio - Santa Rita di Casia

4 comments:

evilganome said...

Thank you for the pictures of the dwarves. The short being a subject dear to my heart. What's this crap with Laurent being so tall. He's French! Tell him I said to stop it right now.

Anonymous said...

The craftsmanship is wonderful. How would they look beside the resin gnomes that are in many gardens today?
Here we are with all the technology and we rely on plastic molds!
DF

Doralong said...

Tell Laurent I said he looks very handsome in that picture!

Jeff said...

I must admit that I am fascinated by these characters- I can't seem to decide if they are charming or menacing.

Thanks for the virtual tour!