Saturday, December 31, 2011

In With The New

With its highs and its lows 2011 is over and much in the world has changed - in the big wide world at large and in our own small corner of it. Though much has changed much has remained the same.  Love, family and friends have been as the always have been, and hope always will be, the important things in my world.   And for that - and for them -  I am grateful.  And though I am raising a toast to auld lang syne (days gone by) I also raise a toast to the year to come - may we have all good things in the New Year but should there be bad may we have the strength to overcome it.

This reminds me of a New Year's Eve dinner many years ago in our first house in Aylmer - and yes we did wear tuxedos.  A left click will take you to all the words of Robbie Burn's immortal lyrics.

When I grew up New Year's Eve was a time when neighbours dropped in for a drink - my father didn't drink but he worked for a distillery so there was always something in the house - we had a family dinner and then we listened to the radio and at midnight as Guy Lombardo and His Royal Canadians played Auld Lang Syne we exchanged kisses and hugs and then went to bed.  Tonight will be much the same.  No great carry on - maybe a bit of reflection and maybe even some Guy Lombardo.


Wishing all those near and dear to me the happiest and healthiest of 2012.

31 dicembre/December - San Silvestro

1 comment:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

I remember always hearing Guy Lombardo on New Year's Eve too! Happy New Year to you all!