Wednesday, September 08, 2010

Mercoledi Musciale

The other day on Facebook, Jeff from World O'Jeff, who use to take us on those great Sunday drives mentioned that he was watching A Hole in the Head (1959) with Frank Sinatra. Being a bit of movie nerd I shot back: Edward G. Robinson, Thelma Ritter, Carolyn Jones, Eddie Hodges and "High Hopes". Jeff was disappointed I had forgotten the mint green Cadillac convertible with the two-toned interior. And I must admit that bit of trivia I had forgotten.

But I did remember all the words to "High Hopes". How could I forget them - Sammy Cahn and Jimmy Van Heusen's song was on the hit parade for months and I heard it almost every morning on CFRB before I went to school.

In the movie Sinatra as down on his luck hotel owner Tony Manetta sings it with his ever optimistic son Alley (Eddie Hodges). Hodges had shot to fame on Broadway in The Music Man and was to have a career on stage, screen and disc until he retired from show business in his late teens.



Though they sang part of the number together on screen, Sinatra's hit record was recorded with a children's chorus. It was on the charts for weeks and was the number 15 most popular song that year - and won the Oscar for best original song in a movie.

And Jeff I'm sorry I forgot the Cadillac!

08 settembre - Natività della Beata Vergine

Enhanced by Zemanta

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the memory! The kids sang "yelled" with such enthusiam.
Dayle